2020.10.20

2020.10.09

It has already been three days, since I published my last entry, and I feel as though the days are blurred, the cheesy phrase. Trevor and I recorded the podcast on Wednesday, and I published it on Thursday. I quit editing them, finding that it is not necessary. We decided to start a new podcast, but we did not record it yesterday as planned. 

I started running again. I thought of a fitness routine as if I were to start a running oriented CrossFit. Each person would have a goal to run a distance within twenty minutes, indicating a level of runner. If you run less than two miles in twenty minutes, you are a poor runner. Most people can walk a mile in twenty minutes, so everyone should be at least level one. I ran less than two miles on my twenty minute first jog this week. If you run more than two miles in twenty minutes, you are an okay runner at level two. If you run three miles in twenty minutes, you are a good runner at level three. My goal was to run level two yesterday, but I attempted to run level three, running two miles and one kilometer in twenty minutes on my second official run, since I started again in Portland. Someone who runs four miles in twenty minutes is an exceptional runner, and people who run five miles in twenty minutes are world record breaking. 


Level of fitness 

One mile in twenty minutes | poor fitness 

Two miles in twenty minutes | okay fitness (faster than ten minute miles)

Three miles in twenty minutes | good fitness (between five and seven minute miles)

Four miles in twenty minutes | exceptional fitness (faster than five minute miles)

Five miles in twenty minutes | world record breaking fitness (faster than four minute miles)

People can speed walk and be at level three. 

Treadmills don't count. It's like saying that I ran three miles on pavement compared to I survived running on a machine spinning the ground at five minute pace. If treadmills count, I ran four minute mile pace in Thailand after graduating from high school. 

I am level two currently, trying to be level three.

I limited my use of Instagram yesterday to five minutes a day with Apple's app limits because three hours a day is not acceptable. There are not many new job opportunities popping up each day in Portland for project engineers, but a couple companies contacted me in the past few days, an engineering consultant company and a government contractor. Waymo announced that they opened up their services to the public without a chauffeur in Phoenix, Arizona. I am pondering moving there. (Kind of not really)

The family routine is difficult to maintain. Jessica stayed up late for an assignment on Tuesday, and I stayed up late for the podcast on Wednesday

Microwaving beets are graphic. Jessica bought some beets,

so I explored the food. They taste sweet.


I ate each slice like a taco.
2020.10.13 

Today was good somewhat. For the past two days, I attempted to go jog in the evenings, but Trevor calls me, distracting me. I need to run earlier.

I am grateful for family. The in-laws checked in on me. Lucas called me last Saturday, and Mercedes encouraged me to be innovative in my job search on Sunday. I think that it is because I wrote that I felt depressed last entry. I try to refrain from writing about my writing. It is like thinking about feelings. They go out of control, but Lucas and Mercedes talked to me this weekend. 

If I were completely open, I would say that I don't network with my colleagues at BYU-Idaho because I always struggled in school. Why would anybody from my university recommend me to any company? I told Mercedes this, recalling a group assignment that I barely contributed anything because I was struggling with other things. I may be assuming, but I am sure that the other students in my group was disappointed in my contribution. I could try to network, but my bridges are not well worn paths.

Trevor and I recorded two podcasts this Saturday. We wanted to record a bonus episode on a couple deep dive articles. We always wanted to do a 'talk to you later show.' We recorded it after we said talk to you later, concluding our first episode of our spiritual podcast. I think that it had a good start with good content. 

Although I did re-engage my "Single Adults' Blogs of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints," renaming its group as the name of the podcast, which is 'Your Friends in the Gospel,' I was distracted by technology all afternoon. I did get some interaction from the group, which is good. 

I even watched Apple's iPhone 12 announcement. They are bring back the classic iPhone 5 design. Their pitch is almost compelling. I don't like how they sell that life is better the more that you buy their products. It is not a minimal lifestyle. It is actually very redundant. I want technology to be simplified to a pair of augmented reality glasses, which I believe that Facebook has a correct vision of; however, they are just barely starting their development of it. They are at least five years out from releasing a consumer product. 

I was not completely distracted. I did a bunch of dishes, apply to a many of jobs, folded laundry, and cooked lunch and dinner. 

On Monday morning, I worked on editing the bonus episode, planning to follow up on a job opportunity; however, the recruiter asked me to resend him my resume. I decided to not work with recruiters this lay off period because they tend to be overly optimistic, yielding no fruit. I did get a job interview from one, but an interview is only an interview. They typically discuss opportunities that don't match my skill set. I could get a job, but I don't want any job or to give up on my education. This recruiter is cool, but the company that he is proposing me to may be unrealistic because they are an engineering consulting company. I am not expecting much. 

I got a notification that my ministering assignment changed, finding that I got a new sister to serve. Ministering is odd in this pandemic. I am trying to think of how to serve her. I realized that sharing my spiritual podcast with them is a good way to minister. I will try that tomorrow.

On Sunday after editing and publishing the first episode of 'Your Friends in the Gospel,' Jessica and I spoke to John Ledesma over Zoom, meeting his step daughter Elizabeth. Jasmine and Lucas joined us. We also had a Google Meet session with my mother and father. Trevor hosted one with them late at night. 

Before my video call with my parents, Jessica and I worked on a virtual ward choir experiment, recording her. I think that we may have lost her recording, and my recording of my part from yesterday sounds out of tune and bad. 

Late last week I sent Slowly digital lettered, which are delayed messages, making the communication more formal. I sent a few letters, getting one back from Jesse Kaupert. It was nice to catch up with him. Some more details about my life in the letter back to him that I did not say in my journal are the following: "Otherthan podcasting, I write in my journal. I have been listening to podcasts and the Saints books. I also have been memorizing the Ten Commandments per my patriarchal blessing. I had to repent of being distracted by Instagram watching it for more than three hours a day for at least two nights this weeks. I was watching Psych, but I quit that after general conference as well as other distractions like Snapchat." 



2020.10.15

My idea to share my spiritual podcast with my ministering stewardship has been good. Two of them have been receptive. 

I was able make a good connection with my new assignment. She was on the defensive when we first talked on the phone, but her openness is a blessing. 

You may think that I am crazy, but I just applied to a job opportunity in Thailand. It is to design and build solar farms, which I just learned about in my last project.

Trevor and I recorded a podcast late last night. Trevor hung out with coworkers and friends after his shift at Chick-Fil-A. 

My job interview went well today; although, my experience is weak. The company is unique. They are land developers, building tract homes, but they call themselves a general contractor too. 


2020.10.19 

Days go by. I recall Friday was busy for a forgotten reason. I know that we shopped for groceries. I forgot what I did in the morning.

On Friday evening we watched a movie. TV-14 and PG 13 are false rating systems. There should not be much difference between a thirteen and fourteen year old, but there is. These ratings are not good for anyone's viewing. I think that it is funny that in video games that the rating of "M" stands for mature. If someone was actually mature, they would observe that their virtue as a person has been tainted. A mature person would want the highest integrity and virtue.

On Saturday we prepared to host Mercedes Ledesma because she wanted to sign up for food stamps. I have been working at getting the apartment in order for over a month, and we finally got the house suitable for company. Mercedes even came the next day for dinner to finish the application. 

Jessica and I never had a ministering brother or a home teacher visit us in our four year marriage, and a new member of the ward, who Jessica grew up with, hailed us up. I tried to convince him to come on Sunday because our apartment is rarely suitable for company.

Trevor and I recorded a new episode of our new podcast "Your Friends in the Gospel". Trevor has not been reading the scriptures daily, so he applied his gaming mindset to the plan of salvation. He taught that in Overwatch that you need to go in with a plan or you will be wasting your time, not furthering the work of the team. Heaven Father presented the plan of salvation to all his spirit children. We are all elected to a role on mortality, and we need to keep to the plan. 

We have eleven listens on each episode of the podcast, so it is a good start. I think that on Friday morning I saw that Trevor shared the podcast on Facebook; then, I encouraged him ask all the people that like his posts if they would him to send the new podcast episode links to them personally. I realized that I only did that partially, so I worked on that.


2020.10.20

It is almost 7:30 ante meridiem, so I am not going to write much about today.

My goal for yesterday was to apply to as many job that I can, which is realistic for my experience and my skill level. It actually took longer than I expected. 

My ultimate goal for yesterday is to share the pictures that were taken on Trevor's phone at grandma's birthday to all the other family members, who wanted to view them. There were a lot more than usual because mom got a hold of it. I made a Hicken family group on Facebook, and an aunt made a second for an unknown reason, so I shared it on both of them. Many people viewed it in my group. I don't know about the other group.

Since Jessica and I were married on the nineteenth day of the month, we try to make it a special day. We have been going to a favorite Thai restaurant most times. Since yesterday was a Monday, I wore my Thai yellow shirt, celebrating the Thai king's birthday. I am actually wearing my original one from about twelve years ago now. The Thai cashier informed me that people who want democracy are currently protesting the yellow shirt people, the people who support the current government. The restaurant has very tasty coconut ice cream that made the meal special. They said that it would take about fifteen to twenty minutes to cook, so I went on a quick jog.

On Saturday, our ward had a practice earthquake emergency communication drill. I was surprised that all the people that I minister to replied. Only one replies punctually.

Comments