July 5, 2020

2020.06.29

I don't have much to write about this morning. Fresh n' Lean’s meals are very small. I am eating double the meals because I forgot to cancel last week's order, so it is working out; however, next week I will have half the food. The meals are excellent. I have gotten pictures, but I Snapchat them to Jessica; therefore, the pictures are not saved.

I had good times chatting with the family. I finished my podcasts and blog post late, so I was unable to talk with my parents much yesterday.

I hoped that I am just trying to get a good routine in Texas again because I only washed a few pairs a clothes this morning. I am two days behind because I focused on my podcast on Saturday, since I flew home from Virginia, arriving home late yesterday. I skipped Sunday because it is my Sabbath.

Today is starting a little slow because the office was not open, and my project manager had me stand out in the field for about 30 minutes, but I am working on my reports now. I left the field for a few minutes because I wanted to do something more productive than space out. My project manager came for me. He shouldn't be babysitting me. I am a field engineer. I have a lot to do.

After submitting my daily reports for Saturday, my project manager asked me to reinforce some punched holes for a binder of the construction drawings. I wonder how much he values my management contribution. I need to establish a QC plan or program. I thought talking to my construction manager about theories of electricity established a pretty good relationship with my project manager.

After fixing my project manager's plan binder, he had me verify some quantities, and he is not having me to work just to waste or my fill time. I guided a truck last week to delivered a dumpster, which I ordered, and I cleaned up our area near our connex because the dumpster was so late on delivery that our area was somewhat a dump.

During lunch, my project manager taught me that every man carries a pocket knife, a handkerchief, and a watch. He taught me this because I was struggling to open my Fresh n' Lean food, letting me borrow his pocket knife. I finished the day working on verifying quantities. On my way home, I bought a water filter, handkerchiefs, and a pocket knife after picking up my food. I was thinking of getting a bandanna before my project manager said to. The main reason that I was thinking about getting a handkerchief or bandanna is to cover my neck. I don't like having the sun on my neck.

I arrived home about 7 PM disappointed about my productivity mainly because I should be preparing for sleep, but I should eat dinner, and I should do my daily reports. I was unable to do them because someone locked the office.

2020.06.30

I spoke with Jessica about my day last night. I hear that it is not good to bring work stress home. I am not sure if telling her about my day is bringing work stress home. I try not to complain, but my communication can't be without emotion. I believe in communication, and good communication establishes good relationships. Construction requires people to constantly adapt. I have written about this before. I don't only need to maintain good communication and relations with my wife, but I need to establish effective relationships with everyone at work too.

I skipped doing laundry this morning because I wanted to keep up in my journal.

I downloaded an app called Bear notes. It requires me to talk to my watch for it record a note. I usually say that I don't like talking to my phone, but the Apple Watch app is handy.

This morning was rough. Yesterday I arrived home feeling unproductive; although, I was productive. I feel like a fool today. I forgot to include superintendent's time on Monday's report. After reporting his time, my project coordinator pointed out that I made a mistake over the past couple reports, entering the wrong phase code. This task should have only taken five minutes. I had to redo my reports twice. There doesn't seem to be any private conversations as my errors were revealed to the superintendent and project manager by the project coordinator. My project manager had me make a daily form for the superintendent to indicate the phases of the project to delegate people's hours. My spreadsheet form worked out well; although, it was not perfect.

I attended a meeting with CS energy, and I was able to keep up with most of it. They covered some quality control or commissioning tests that I did not learn anything about on my QC training.

My project manager had me do an inventory of leftover materials in the trailer from different projects. I threw out some junk out of the connex to get myself some space. Working up a sweat. I carried a lot of PVC connections into the connex. We have many boxes of 2.5 inch couplings for some reason. I left my work in the connex later than intended, and I went to see how the day ended in the field.

My project manager rushed me out as I was finishing my daily construction report because time was up.

He confronted me about rumors that I majored in physics. I wish. He further asked about why it took me forty hours to complete my OSHA 10. That is an exaggeration. I did not point that out, but I explained why it took me so long. They seem to be investigated my quality control training. My project manager said that he is worried about me. This is how my day ended as I faced my foolishness all day.

Last week I guided a truck driver to the job site to deliver some material, and he was sent to the wrong place. I realized that he must have used Apple Maps because it lead me to the same wrong place as I drove to work.

2020.07.01

It took me a couple hours to do my reports this morning. Double and triple checking my work, I discovered that I did hours for the wrong day, so we had to redo my report. It's good thing that I caught it before submitting it.

 
A self-driving vehicle in Walmart

I bought a shelf for papers and some printer ink at Walmart. It's a good thing that I'm going to go pick up some office stuff at Walmart because I forgot my spoon for lunch today. I finally got my fuel card to start working as I went on my errand. My days going pretty smoothly so far other than the traffic.

After noon and some meetings I submitted some reimbursement requests. I tried to engage in quality control and submittals, but I don't know how to start very well. My superintendent suggested that we get a submittal log going. I don't know if preparing myself mentally for those things/pondering is productive. I think making a QC plan would be productive. It'll help me engage in the plans and contract, but I was encouraged to set up a submittal log. I got an outdated one from the general contractor, so I started that somewhat.

When I caught up with the field at the end of the day, I found that their day was not ending well including errors and discovery of work to redo.

2020.07.02

Yesterday evening I spoke to Jessica and Trevor. I am still pondering my life, working as a traveling onsite project engineer. Jessica is very conservative about the pandemic, and she doesn't want any member of our family to travel until we have been vaccinated for COVID-19, which development is going to be completed at an unknown date; probably in a year. Jessica asked me for my opinion. I thought yesterday, if Jessica and I are not communicating; perhaps for a week or more, I am going home. Why am I working out here if my immediate family doesn't have healthy correspondence? Jessica is so bold about her opinion that she is throwing out all holidays, and my opinion doesn't seem to matter.

This morning I found that some of my white clothing are getting stains. Some of the yellow printer ink got on my long sleeve shirt yesterday. I tried to clean it, but it didn't come out. My white dress shirt has black stains near the buttoned up length. I need to learn how to maintain my clothes. I ripped my pants on Tuesday; I believe.

I did not record periodic notes via Bear notes today, so I am recalling my day from memory, if that makes a difference.

I tried to engage in composing our submittal log and quality control plan, but it was difficult to get started. I went out outside for brief walks to try to figure out how to progress the work. It takes me a while mainly because I didn't know the electrical industry, but I got some progress in it.

In the afternoon, I helped coordinate the schedule update with the superintendent and project manager. They switched somethings around without much research into what might happen as a result, but my remark was not considered much.

I kind of have two bosses, which is odd; the project manager and project coordinator. It's a little hard to balance the two. I need to implement a quality control program to avoid rework. Today was our first day that we did rework. My superintendent is taking tomorrow off. I want to figure out something to keep the work high quality. We have a three week look ahead to keep us on task. I don't know how much management will be onsite. My project manager is taking next week off.

I got a request from the CEO of Dome Technology for my resume. The company seems to be based in Idaho Falls. The general contractor looks innovative, design focused, and unique. I got on the computer send him that, and I also watched a video that my quality control friend recommended.

It was not entertaining. It was the video "Camping with the boys" by JoshDub on YouTube. I realize that the more that you are away from social media the less enticing that it is. Nothing on Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube is interesting. I think that is a good thing.

2020.07.04

Today is the fourth of July. I have no plans for human interaction other than recording my podcast with Trevor, and that is fine. I am an introvert. I learned why introverts recharge alone, and extroverts recharge in social situations; furthermore, the opposite occurs extroverts feel drained after a long period of isolation as introverts feel drained after long periods of social situations. These feelings are based on dopamine. People feel fulfilled, engaging in healthy activities that produce dopamine. Unhealthy activities that produce dopamine can develop into addictions. I enjoy engaging in activities that are done in isolation like journal writing.

Yesterday was a productive day. I wrote six legitimate RFIs. This is the first time that I have ever done that. I wrote an RFI for Columbia Stone, but it was not meaningful and ignored. My project manager informed me of the issues. My project manager was a little concerned with how long that it took me to compose the documents, but I wanted them to have a good presentation.

We got out two hours early yesterday, and I was punctual in the completion of my duties. My evening was distracted, but I did do what I said in a podcast that I would do once I have free time, which was try to transfer my license to use Bluebeam to Linux. Bluebeam basically impossible to retrieve my project key, so I gave up on the software. That's the bane proprietary software. I installed Ubuntu on my laptop. One immediate relief was the bloat of years of use on Windows. The computer has more than two hundred gigabytes of memory, but even after deleting all my documents, files, and photographs. I had less than a hundred gigabytes of storage. I have more 228 gigabytes of storage, starting fresh on Linux.

I also downloaded Pokemon Sword and Shield's Isle of Armor as prompted by Trevor. It is similar to Final Fantasy XIV with a quest based story line with a bunch of side quests. I caught a least one Pokemon that I want to add to my team. The story-line is a little cheesy.

2020.07.05

Early yesterday I sent my friend that I mentioned last week a link to download the Book of Mormon app. I am uncertain whether response was receptive. Missionary work is difficult.

Before going for my jog, I attempted to throw away the boxes and ice packs that Fresh  n' Lean me, but I couldn't bring myself to throwing them away. I thought of reusing them or selling them. My project buys ice all the time.


It took me almost an hour to run about 5 miles. I haven't ran that long for years. I got a couple pictures at the park and blisters on my foot.

After lunch, I prepared for the podcast, listening to Nicks music. I attempted to edit his recent song, since he gave it to me incomplete. I will probably keep my version of his song to myself. Call it a remix.

The podcast went well. I did a dumb thing that almost lost my audio recording. I moved the file's audacity folder into another folder while the file was open.

UpRight's payment system is blocking my purchase because I live in a hotel. I attempted it twice; once with my debit card & once with PayPal. They won't make an exception because the system can't, a fruit of artificial intelligence.

I put my flow.page link on all social networking pages, but I found a new website similar to flow.page that I will start using. It looks better, but it is slightly worse because it is less custom; however, I think that it is designed to be more live than flow.page. I am thinking of using it because I think sharing my podcast and blog on the same day makes people chose one or the other. This link is similar to a business card that I will give that let them have both links handy. The website is called liinks.co. Yes. It is a horrible URL, but I have a vision for it.

Comments