2020.10.06

 2020.08.24

Today was good. I was able to focus on my responsibilities without much interruption at work. My project manager told be to fill up a cooler with ice at the gas station; then at work, a coworker rebuked me for not getting ice for everyone, saying that he told me to do so four times. I don't take direction from crew members; unless, I am part of his crew. I thought that this incident was odd because I actually gave him about ten ice packs that he could use to keep his drinks cold on Thursday. My superintendent revealed to me that he was told to apologize to me. I was locked out of the job-site trailer, so I was unable to do my daily reports today. My daily yoga session was somewhat difficult. It lead me to do a dynamic plank exercise, which was the most difficult part of it. The cooler that I was told to use was filthy, and I cleaned it after my yoga session. The cooler will weigh more than 80 pounds. I can't bring it to the crews. I am going to have to leave it in the back of my truck.

2020.08.30

I have Trifecta send me food to save time, but I am investing that time to do yoga and get back in shape. I did three yoga sessions yesterday, getting three times as sweaty. I have been able do my daily sessions all this past week. 

One interesting thing that happened on Monday is that a member of my graduating class at BYU-Idaho visited our job site because he works for a contractor that might work with us. 

I have been requested to provide ice for everyone; then, on Thursday they asked me go out to let a crew rest on my truck to cool off in the air conditioning. Of course; the request was not polite. I left the truck out in the field on Friday. Since I forgot my lunch, I had to rush out. I was working in the truck in the field, waiting for my lunch hour. When lunch time arrived, a bunch of crew members jumped into my truck. I drove them out to the field after lunch too, since I was in my truck for my rushed lunch.

2020.09.02

I finally arrived to work on time to write in my journal. Recently I have attempted to do quality control even when they say that they are ready; then, I discover that they are not ready. 

I downloaded an app to get me back into the routine of writing in my journal that only asks for one sentence a day, and I don't even have time for one sentence. I work late most days. I have a routine to eat and drink water at the end of my work day, so I can be ready for yoga when I get home. Trevor always calls. I am not complaining, but, when I say that I am busy, I mean it. 

My Uphold card finally works again. The value of Eth is up again, which is good for me to get a good exchange rate for my Eth, when I shop at Walmart.

2020.09.03

Yesterday I got off work at one post meridiem because a lightning storm came. My extra time at home was not used well. I got a little nap. I submitted my daily report. I also purchased myself a gift card for ice. 

We might start the third season of Very Hicken Bros., where we mainly interview creative friends rather than talk technology between Trevor and I. Trevor has a coworker, who is interested in joining the podcast. I have a friend that I want to add to the podcast too.

Jessica, working out.

2020.09.04

Today is the second day of the week, where we ended the day at work during the one post meridiem hour. Of course. I have not used my extra time well. I am realizing that being so busy makes me uses my limited time very efficiently. My life is barely balanced. Yesterday my project director said that we only have twelve more days of the project, and we are going to work every day until the end. I asked to not work on Sunday. I should probably prepare for my podcast episode today.

2020.09.08

We started working 11 hours a day yesterday. My project manager asked me to do label the module end of the source wire, and at the end of the day he started asking me why is it taking so long because I said that I was 40% complete. If someone is trying to work efficiently and they ask why they are not working efficiently. What answer can he expect? I don't know. I have other things to do. I did not do that one task all day. I think that he should recognize what I did do rather than what I didn't do.


2020.09.12

Life got even more busy, since the project changed to working eleven hours a day. 

I was asked to label circuit for the week. The work can be tedious because I accidentally skipped circuits a couple times, and I have to go back and replace all the previous labels, making the work double the time to accomplish the task. I was happy that I was able to fix my mistakes without having to tell people. 

I did not tell people that I was leaving because I don't want to impact the project morale. 

I realized that I am being laid off next week, and I contacted Dome Technology again. The CEO replied faster than before. 

Pondering when I should go home, I received an email, saying that I was chosen to teach at my church's first virtual primary session. I chose to leave the weekend before the project ended. I need to figure out how I am going to address the primary. 

A quarry or mine that I saw on my flight to Utah.

I am on my flights to Oregon at this time. My superintendent gave me a ride to my hotel last night, and my project manager gave me a ounce of copper in the shape of a coin. Before departing from the job site I gave my pocket knife to a coworker because I can't take it on the plane. They asked for it a couple days ago to cut something as I helped them work. I also gave them my last boxes of Trifecta food because I forgot to cancel the shipment.

2020.09.15

When I arrived to Portland, I saw the air was polluted with smoke. I couldn't see two hundred meters ahead of me. 

Reviewing the possible activity ideas in the ‘Come, Follow me’ manual, I found an ideal lesson for the virtual primary lesson; however, Jessica recognized that the primary president asked us to teach from the previous week as the Sunday school teacher will teach from the current week. None of the lesson ideas of the previous week was inspiring, so I modified my current idea to the previous weeks content material. It was a live podcast style lesson according to my experience, which seemed to work well. 

The ward's tech guru was too busy to guide us in our webinar practice. The Sunday school teacher was more generous and capable than I, since he does work remotely working through video chatting most of his work days lately. The ward had been sharing a webinar license with another ward, and the Sunday school teacher purchased one for the ward. 

Jessica and I practiced many times, but we missed the opportunity to practice with the webinar program of choice, which was a hiccup in our lesson, yet it went well. Jessica and I got instant feedback with text messages, saying that we did wonderfully. 

I don't know why the ward waited so long to start to implement Sunday school, but I feel that I was chosen to start the virtual primary lesson off on the right foot. I didn’t want to set the standard too high that the following teachers might be intimidated; furthermore, I have heard nightmarish attempts to teach children through video chatting. Our ward simplified the expectation by not engaging the children for participation. Jessica and I discussed Samuel the Lamanite, sharing a church cartoon video to review his stories is an effective manor; then, Jessica reflected on how it would be like to live in that day and possible lessons that we learn. I stated that I learned that Heavenly Father wants to share his love with us, telling us of his greatest expression of his love, through his sacrifice of his beloved son, but the Nephites rejected God's expression of his love. People from the beginning of time wanted to learn every detail of the coming of Christ, yet the righteous found sorrow in the wickedness of the Nephites, rejecting Samuel the Lamanite. We too may be rejecting God's expressions of love to us as we may be distracted by the things of the world. 

Jessica and I visited Mercedes for dinner on Sunday, and we spoke until after ten post meridiem. Our apartment is not sealed as well as Mercedes's, and one can easily realize that smoke is in the air of our apartment. When I wake up, I feel like I have smoke on my stomach. I joked on my podcast that I follow the air quality index more closely than cryptocurrencies’ prices. I purchased an air filter mask for cycling last time smoke came from California a couple years ago, but this year's fires are a hundred times worse. I am grateful to have my air filter mask, so I can get the smoke out of my stomach. 

Yesterday I recorded an episode of our podcast and submitted time for the Catan project. Those were my main goals. A side goal is to follow up on Dome Technology's offer to discuss employment, getting an email back gives times on Wednesday to interview.

2020.09.15 Feedback

Today's Primary/ Sunday School 

I just want to thank the three of you for the amazing meeting we had today. There was such a wonderful strengthening spirit during it. I appreciated your testimonies and personal stories that helped us engage in your message, but more importantly, learn how to apply it in our lives. The flow of the meeting was very well organized and comfortable. I was praying for you prior, and now thanking Heavenly Father for His help and your sacrifice and preparation. I hope you all felt good about it and saw the Lord's hand in your life. 

I love and appreciate you. 

Bishop Mitchell 


Alex and Jessica, 

Thank you so much for your primary lesson. It was great. The message you presented was perfect and so timely. We appreciate so much all you do in the ward. Thank you and take care. 

Mike Cluff 


Jessica, you did such a great job this morning! I'm impressed at how you were willing to share your experience, and be open. It's SO difficult to teach online especially because there's no response, and it feels like you're on stage. Thank you for doing that! Thanks to both of you! 

Lisle 


Great lesson, Jessica and Alex! Thank you! 

Amy Mitchell

Skinny sandwich for Jessica  

2020.09.19

On Wednesday, I tried to edit my podcast, but I only made it thirty minutes into it by lunch time, having a hour more to edit. We recorded it on Monday. I didn't do much with it on Tuesday for a reason that I have forgotten. Maybe we had to grocery shop. Maybe I was negotiating a job interview with Dome Technology. We decided to drop by Idaho Falls for a night along the way to my grandmother's ninetieth birthday party. Trevor and I decided to record a video podcast this weekend, since I am in Utah. It may be live and interactive.


2020.10.03

 Today is the first day of general conference. A main reason that I have not been writing is because Trevor and I have been trying to figure out a new groove and schedule for the podcast. Trevor and I were a week late for a podcast recording, since my grandma's birthday was that weekend. I am not exactly sure what happen, but we published three episodes in one week. I didn't know that I could listen and edit podcasts too much because my ears started hurting. My ear drum feels worn out. I had an excuse not to edit the podcast from Wednesday because we wanted to publish it early, so we won't be competing with general conference. I only edited about 25 minutes into the previous episode before I could not bare the pain in my ears, having to publish the podcast partially edited. The work was like a full time job, but I am caught up now. Another reason that I did not edit the last episode is because I had two spontaneous job interviews on the day to edit it. 

On Thursday, I interviewed with Whitaker/Ellis, a concrete contractor, and Skyline Sheet Metal, obviously a sheet metal contractor. These were my first round of interviews. They were okay, but I am not that good at interviewing especially in my first rounds. It was funny because a recruiter from Aerotek contacted me, saying that he has a concrete contractor project engineer role that I would fit well in. I asked, if it is with Whitaker/Ellis, and he said yes. Also during the call I got an email from the hiring management of the company, inviting me to apply. I emailed back that I already interviewed with them yesterday. I am more excited about the job with Skyline because it has a drafting emphasis. I tried to show my enthusiasm for design. I have not practiced AutoCAD for a few years, so they would not be hiring me for my skills, if I do get the job offer. I usually don't get a job offer based on my job interview skills. I like to be straight forward, so they will know what they are hiring. I am not going to say that I am proficient at AutoCAD; although, I was, and I expect to learn it again quickly, if I do get the job. 


The last entry spoke about negotiating an interview with Dome Technology in Idaho Falls. Jessica and I drove there on Thursday for the Friday morning interview. We arrived in Idaho Falls very late because Jessica insisted on cleaning the house, and we left at 8:30 ante merdiem, when we could have left at 6:30 ante merdiem. 

The interview went well. It was funny because the interviewer apologized for the smoke, but I told him that the smoke was a lot worse in Portland. You would not be able to see the tree two hundred meters out. Jessica and I were happy to return to Portland with the air quality normal again. I haven't been able to go get a proper workout because the air quality; I don't have a "CDC approved mask", and my apartment floor is too disgusting to do yoga on it. I shouldn't get into how much cleaning that we have to do.

The Dome Tech interview went well, but I don't believe that my experience fits what they need. They were looking for a structural designer, but I don't have the experience. They were thinking of hiring a part time salesman, but I can't do that. They also mentioned a project engineer, but the opportunity is not developed much, so I don't think that I would be hired. They said that they would finish interviewing this week. I should follow up on Monday to see, if they decided to develop the position more.


Jessica and I arrived in Utah at a good time. We had time to eat dinner with Trevor, mom, and dad at a Vietnamese place. I haven't been into ordering soup for a while because they are not typically filling, so I ordered a vermicelli noodle dish; although, we went for Phở. It was like a Thai dish that I order regularly in Portland called Gai Kua, a noodle dish with salad in it. 

The next day we went to Grandma's birthday, which was scheduled for noon. Jessica and I were impressed because we were welcomed more than usual. People asked me about my job and Trevor and I's podcast. Trevor almost didn't make it because he had a hard time finding someone to take his shift. The family was very good with the pandemic precautions; although, seating was close as it would normally be set. No one seems to have gotten sick. Grandma's health looks steady, but grandpa's health looks like he is atrophying. He could barely see and hear. I thought that grandma's patience is tested regularly. I imagine that grandpa's patience must be being tested more. He has a bed downstairs. His independence is abating. I think that his health will degrade as his independence decreases. 

I ponder what I would do, if my ears or eyes went out. I told Trevor that I would start up a career in writing. I would not give up in seeking to have a thriving life. I would learn braille. It would be my excuse to begin writing full time. I do love to write. 

Jessica and I were invited to celebrate Carrollee's birthday at Josh and Martha Day's house, but we rested, and my mother wanted to show us her scrapbook that she made for herself. It was great to learn of her youth.

On Sunday, we visited Hayley and Austin Lopez, Jasmine and Lucas Rodgers, & Trevor and Mickey. Mickey is a friend of Trevor from the Ocean Branch, who loves to play board games. Trevor and I were considering recording a podcast in person, but Trevor wanted to play a game with Mickey. Our time at each setting were meaningful and good.

The drive home was chill. We decided to stay at a hotel at Boise, so I don't have to more than ten hours in one day. Since I stayed in a Wyndham room for a few months in Texas, they gave me their highest membership, and I was able to get our room in Provo for free and a discount on our stays in Idaho Falls and Boise. The location of Boise's hotel was funny because it was behind a Walmart. We arrived in Portland about noon on Tuesday.


2020.10.06

This is my second week, applying for jobs. I tried to get a job in Portland, getting little response, and today is my first day, applying for jobs in Salt Lake City. Searching for jobs, I felt a little depressed, thinking that my skills are not worth much. 

I think that I finally caught up on sleep today, napping twice. I have been sleeping a lot. I even dozed off during general conference a few times. I think that I have been sleeping a lot because I don't have a work schedule. After general conference, I was inspired to organize a family routine based on Jessica's classes schedule this week. Elder Anderson and President Nelson's speeches were very inspiring. They spoke of consecration. Neil Anderson taught to develop a habit to speak of your religion openly and regularly, so we don't appear as though we have a secret identity, when we do bring it up. People will be more open, when saints are more open about our faith in Jesus Christ. Russell Nelson taught that Jacob was named Israel after he wrestled the angel. Israel, the name is a reflection of this nature, meaning Let God Prevail. Jacob gave up in pride in the wrestle, letting God prevail. I have always wanted to devote my life to a higher discipleship, ridding myself of the world's distractions. I decided to quit listening to podcasts, watching shows, and indulging in social media. I finished listening to the first volume of Saints today, but I also watched a Instagram videos for more than three hours today. My discipline only lasted one day. It contradicts my previous life. How can I publish podcasts, promoting it to listen to, when I don't listen to them anymore? There is so much content to keep up with in the church. I thought if I diverted my attention from podcasts to the content of the church. I can keep up. I always felt overwhelmed by all the literature that saints needs to consume. I also believe that Elder Anderson said that life decisions are much more straightforward, when saints consecrate themselves to the gospel. I want to seize my election. I don't want to miss my calling by being distracted. Trevor called me right after the conference, and I danced around my impression, which was inspiration and guidance to my prayers. I finally said that I want to practice talking about the gospel of Jesus Christ more in a podcast. Trevor wants to keep the tech podcast going. Our podcast has given my life consistency, and I want to raise my daily devotion. I need to repent of my distraction of Instagram, and keep diligent to become a faithful disciple of Christ, letting him prevail in my life.

Our pet plant

Comments